What if you could hit every nutritional need in your morning smoothie? You can! And studies show you are 30% more likely to eat healthy throughout your day if you start it right. A well-balanced smoothie is a simple and satisfying way to achieve this goal. This Daily 5 Smoothie Guide offers an easy-to-follow approach to building your perfect 16 oz smoothie in five steps! This breakfast nutrition hack ensures you have the opportunity to pack all the key nutrients as you start your day. Blender ready? Let's begin...
1. Mineral Rich Base: Your base should be functional, create a great texture, and provide additional nutrients for your optimal meal. I recommend 1 banana, ½ an avocado, or 1 cup of frozen fruit. You may wish to freeze your banana in advance for a creamier smoothie.
2. Antioxidants: Immune system boosters, antioxidants add another layer of flavor to your smoothie. Fruits that are high in antioxidants include berries, acai, pitaya, cherries, and pomegranate seeds. I recommend adding a ½ cup portion of any of these as part of your base. Antioxidant-rich fruits are widely available, fresh or frozen. If you use packaged frozen fruit, avoid added sugars (check the label).
3. Greens: Chlorophyll, which is found in green leafy vegetables and other green superfoods, helps to oxygenate your blood, reduce inflammation, and boost your clarity and focus. Green leafy vegetables also provide healthy fiber and at least 5 grams of protein per cup. I recommend 1 cup of spinach or chopped kale. Combined with the fruits in your smoothie mix, these greens will taste great once blended. No fresh greens in your kitchen? You can use a green superfood like spirulina or chlorella. Start by adding 1 tsp one of these superfoods.
4. Healthy Fat: A healthy fat is essential to nourish your brain and the connective tissues throughout your body. Some options include 1 tbsp of raw nut butter like almond, ½ an avocado, or ⅛ cup whole nuts or seeds. Healthy fats also commonly include clean sources of protein. You can boost your protein intake with this step by using hemp seeds, which contain 14 grams of protein plus important omega 3 fatty acids in a 2 tbsp serving!
5. Hydrating Liquid: To complete your Daily 5 Smoothie, add 1 cup of fresh clean water or coconut water. Alternatively, using 1 cup of almond, coconut, or hemp milk provides both a hydrating liquid and a healthy fat - steps 4 and 5 combined!
6. Once you’ve added your favorite ingredients for each step, blend your smoothie well (for at least 35 seconds using a basic home blender). Enjoy this nutritious and delicious meal in a cup to start your day.
Our Group Coaching program participants have seen great results using the techniques above to start their day off right! If your curious about this live program consider giving our upcoming RISE Reset a try! The program information is below.